
My goal this morning was to hold onto a shred of dignity. I think I did it, but just barely. Here I am, big and pregnant, and fighting the mother of all colds. I've had it for a week now, and I'm just not getting better. I can't take any drugs worth taking, so its been rough going.
As a result of the cold, my face is chalky white, I have black circles under my eyes, my skin is blotchy (although in fairness this is really from pregnancy!) and my nose is all red from blowing it too much. Additionally, I hadn't highlighted my hair for two months, so it was half blond and half nasty. It had also grown out of the cut (not a good idea with short hair), and since I didn't bother to fix it, it was sticking out of my head like bozo the clown. All in all, I was NOT a pretty picture this morning.
Normally on beauty pageant days such as these I hide at home, but this morning I had my big ultrasound. Luckily, I didn't have to take children with me, so I was all alone. The techs made me put on a hospital gown and left me alone in a room on a bed. I tried to lay down in anticipation of the ultrasound, but every time I did I got so congested I couldn't breathe. I grabbed a handful of tissues and blew my nose for dear life, but as soon as I laid down, I couldn't breathe again! I could hardly talk because I was so congested, and every time I tried, I started with the beautiful hacking cough.
I really wondered what the doctor and tech were going to think of me, because I had no dignity left. As I was laying naked, wearing nothing but the gown, I was hoping that my pregnant body would cooperate with the coughing, and finally decided it was safer to empty my bladder before the ultrasound. This is how I hung onto only a shred of dignity.
As soon as the ultrasound was done, I made a beeline for the nearest cheap salon to get my hair done. I don't consider myself a vain person, but laying vulnerable on that table made even me start thinking about how to improve my appearance. I avoided the mirror all through my hair appointment, but now I feel much better about myself. If only I had a picture from this morning....
Im so sorry to hear your sad story. Getting my hair done always makes me feel more attractive. I'm glad you just went and did it. So worth the money. Also, I took sudafed when I got a Horrible cold. Of coarse nothing is the best but if you are dying I would go grab some sudafed so you can at least get some rest. I wish I was there to bring you some chicken noodle soup and clean your kitchen for you:) I will never forget your GENEROUS gesture to clean mine when I was sick and pregnant with Kort.I could grab sweetsie for you too so you could get some shut eye. Oh, and that baby is so precious! The ultrasound looks like he is laying on a breast...did you notice that? Too funny. Hope you feel better soon!!
ReplyDeleteSweet baby! I can't wait to meet him. I've had those days too. Yuck! Good for you for getting your hair done. I wish I was there to go with you. Oh the days...
ReplyDelete