Thursday, October 28, 2010

Tonight I got really annoyed with Jared. I have asked him repeatedly to call me when he's going to be late so that we don't sit around the table waiting for him. Tonight we waited and waited, then finally ate without him. I would have left him alone, except the missionaries called and asked if they could come over, and still no Jared.

So I finally gave in and called him. I decided before I called that I wouldn't be annoyed, and that I would be patient and kind. It didn't work. I was really witchy (appropriate for upcoming Halloween!) When I called he said that he was almost home. I said "What happened? Did you get held up at work? Couldn't you call?" He said "It's really hard to be on time when you send me around after work. I assumed you knew I would be late." I was totally confused, so I said "What??? I didn't send you anywhere!" He said "Yes you did! You needed wheat bread and eggs!"

For just a brief moment, we were both totally confused. Then Jared said "If you didn't need bread and eggs, why did you have Joshua call me and ask me to pick them up at Safeway?"

It all clicked into place then. Joshua checked out a kids cookbook from the school library. He has been dying to make some of the recipes in it. Unfortunately for him, I haven't been to the grocery store this week, and we are out of just about everything. As I was scraping dinner together, Joshua started asking me if we had ingredients to make the recipe he picked out. I kept telling him no, no, no. I finally told him he couldn't make anything until I went to the store. Joshua took matters into his own capable 8 year old hands. He picked up the phone, went through the caller ID until he found Wachovia, dialed and pushed 0 twice, then asked the teller for Jared. He then asked Jared to go to the store on his way home for wheat bread and eggs. I have yet to ask Joshua which recipe called for wheat bread and eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment