Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Yesterday the kids were off school for election day. I decided to attempt to make it fun for them, and to take them to the zoo. Then I decided that was wayyyyy to much work (the zoo is complicated to get to, and someone stole my GPS out of my car). Plan B was much simpler, and I took them to a local (and free!) petting zoo.

I am quite proud of Joshua - he was not afraid, and willing to pet all the animals. Claire and James were not so adventurous, but Joshua petted a calf, pigs, goat, and rabbits. We also saw chickens, turkeys and peacocks. We had a very interesting discussion at the peacocks:

Kids: "Why is one so colorful, and the others just gray?"

Me: "The boy peacock is colorful, and the girls are gray."

Kids: "We want to see the boy peacock open up his tail. When is he going to do that?"

Me: "I don't know, he only opens his tail when he wants to mate."

Kids: "What's mate?"

Me: "When he wants the girls to notice him."

The kids were pensive for a moment, then Joshua said "Claire, look away and pretend like you don't see him. Mommy, ignore the boy peacock."

We tried it. It didn't work.

2 comments:

  1. :) Funny. I enjoy all your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha!

    We had similar discussions this summer, and it occurred to me that in nature, the guys show off their colors to try to catch a girl. With people, well, the guys do show off but it seems like women do more to try and attract a mate. Kind of weird. And a pointless comment. Sorry. :-)

    ReplyDelete