Thursday, January 26, 2012

I am wayyyy behind, and as this is supposed to be a record of my children's lives, I am feeling rather sad that I haven't been recording.

Daniel is turning two next week and is finally starting to talk. He is actually rather entertaining, as he has a funny personality and an impish streak. Today, I asked him how old he is. He smiled his biggest, most mischievous grin and emphatically answered "PURPLE!" He thought this was hilarious. He also runs away when I need to put his coat and shoes on, sneaks snacks all day long, and does his best to destroy our house. Yesterday he came into the bathroom and happily showed me a "POP POP!" He then shoved the lollipop back in his mouth and ran away as fast as he could. As I was using the bathroom at the moment, he got a bit of a head start before I could relieve him of the POP POP. Upon coming downstairs, I discovered that he had dragged the step stool to the counter, climbed on it, climbed on the counter, and got the lollipop out of the cupboard. Resourceful, for a boy who isn't even two yet. I found a trail of shredded lollipop wrapper starting at the counter, and trailing up the stairs to the bathroom. I guess he couldn't wait to show me his conquest.

James continues to be exceptionally sweet. In fact, he is so sweet that it overshadows some other accomplishments. For example, for months he has been coming to me and saying things such as "Mommy, I know what 5 plus 4 is. It's 9." And I would always mumble "That's great, Jamesy." Or "Uh-huh." It took a while for reality to dawn upon me, and to realize that this child doing this mental math is only 4 YEARS OLD. Suddenly, James saying "Mommy, 8 plus 7 is 15" seemed like a big deal, and I had been ignoring this for a long time. Today in the car he was making up and answering math problems, so I asked him if he knew 12 plus 12. James said "I think so.... give me about an hour to figure it out." He then was silent, and wondering if he forgot, I asked him if he had the answer. He said, in a slightly frustrated tone "MOMMY, I'm STILL thinking." I then was quiet, and after about two minutes he said "I think it's about 24." What is he going to think of kindergarten?

We were discussing the Make-A-Wish foundation, and I asked Claire what her wish would be. It took her about 30 seconds before she had her answer - to have her artwork displayed at the Louvre, and to be able to visit it. Pretty creative answer. Let's hope she never earns a wish.

Joshua had a school play tonight. He never even mentioned it to us, and was surprised when I knew about it. I was surprised to find out that he had volunteered for a dancing number in the play. I had no idea! Seeing him on stage dancing was too much for me, and I sobbed like a baby all the way through it. I was so proud of him - the fact that he was healthy and able, particularly after all of the physical issues he has had, to see him up there performing a choreographed dance with his classmates was amazing. He probably won't ever be a world class athlete, but maybe someday he will be a first rate husband, father, and school counsellor.

So, there's brief updates on the babies. I will try to write more - they say so many funny things every day, and I am extremely upset that I haven't been faithfully recording them.

1 comment:

  1. If you have to choose between recording it all and living it all, choose living it. You'll still have the memories. Sometimes I get so caught up in the recording of the birthday or Christmas or whatever that I completely miss out on the wonderfulness of the moment.

    But I'm glad you posted and glad the kids are doing well!

    ReplyDelete