Today was Joshua's first day of first grade and Claire's first day of kindergarten. I have mixed feelings about this: one one hand, Claire desperately needs constant stimulation. On the other hand, my babies are gone!
Our house awoke in a flurry of excitement. Both kids came running in my room, asking where their school clothes were. Being a smart and experienced mom, I had hidden them so that the children couldn't get dressed, help themselves to breakfast, and then be covered in breakfast. We had a leisurely morning (the bus doesn't come until 9!) Everyone was bathed, groomed, fed and even had time to watch TV! This is not typical at our house, as one of us (me) does not like to get up until the last minute. However, school starts a whole hour later this year, and even I can handle it.
It was rainy, but in spite of the rain we left plenty early to find our bus stop. It is a block away, and there were probably 20 kids waiting. As the bus pulled up I finally started to panic. My children are little - how will they find their classrooms? And get on the right bus to come home? Will they find a seat on the bus? What about shy Claire? Will Joshy take care of her?
Luckily the children were too excited, and ran for the bus as soon as it stopped, leaving me no time for panicky instructions and tearful goodbyes. They ran away so fast that it was all I could do to remember to pull out the camera and take a picture of them getting on the bus. Only after the doors were shut did I remember little James, and when I finally paid attention to him, I realized that he was crying right along with me. I picked him up, and he stuck his little lip out and said "I want to ride the bus with Joshy and Claire." I carried him home, both of us crying.
James was so upset that I had to put him down for a nap as soon as we got in the house. He tried to hide behind the open front door, but of course I found him. He held onto the doorknob, yelling "NO NAP!!!! I JUST WANT TO RIDE THE BUS!" This is not the way I pictured starting out my time alone with my little Sweetsie.
I am now basking in the silence of my house. I never, ever ever have quiet time to myself in the middle of the day. As sad and anxious as I am, I could get very used to this!
It is so sad to say good bye at the bus stop! I am sure they will love school though. I can't wait to hear about their adventures!
ReplyDeleteI love the pictures :)
ReplyDeleteDon't get too comfy with that alone time!! Adventure is right around the corner:) Hope your feeling good.
ReplyDeleteI can't believe how big your kids are! Holy cow.
ReplyDeleteYou're a better mom than I am - I practically skipped all the way home and enjoyed my first day of semi-peace and quiet, and that was just one kid in half day kindergarten. I'm living for the day when they're all there. My to do list just grows and grows and I never get to finish anything. I knew that very first day that I was going to LOVE having the kids in school. :-)
Congrats on #4. (I still get Joshua's e-mail updates so that's how I found out.) Great news!!
ReplyDelete