Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Among my hangups (and there are many) is that once I turn off the a/c or heat for the season, I can't bring myself to turn it back on. Maybe it has something to do with our $178/month electric bill, but I get very turned on by the idea of a few cheap months of electricity in the spring and fall.

It cooled down a few days ago, and I turned off the a/c. Our house stayed steady at 73 degrees, and I thought we had arrived!!!! Today it was 91 outside, bringing the main level of our house to 86. The "cool" night air has brought it to 85. Upstairs is probably a good 7 or 8 degrees warmer. I have no idea how I'm going to sleep, except that I will have to find a way because I CANNOT TURN THE AIR BACK ON! It's the end of September, for crying out loud.

I would consider sleeping in the basement, except our lives are plauged by irony. We have two problems in the basement: huge (I mean HUGE) jumping crickets, and mold on our baseboards. So here's the irony: while I was gone this evening, Jared sprayed the baseboards down here with bug killer. Twenty minutes later, I came home, grabbed a can of Lysol, and sprayed all the same baseboards with Lysol. As I was finishing, I was feeling a little lightheaded and confused. I know Lysol stinks, but does it stink this bad????

We didn't figure it out until Jared came downstairs, and ran upstairs again choking and with burning eyes. We successfully created a gas chamber down here. Note for the future: bug spray and Lysol DO NOT MIX! The computer is down here and I'm getting a buzz as I type. Maybe if I get high enough, I won't notice the heat when I go into my stove of a bedroom.

Note on kids: Joshua's job at school is line leader. He asked me today if he could quit, because he never notices the stop signs on the walls. It is embarrassing for him and is hard for me to see him suffer. He is just oblivious to things around him, and when he knows and can't fix it, it's hard. I told him to have the #2 person in line help him. Hopefully he'll take my advise.

Have to go now. I think my head is going to burst.

2 comments:

  1. I hope things go well tonight in the heat. I hope your basement situation gets better too. I miss your cute house. David was asking today if we could have a sleep over again at your house today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the same way. Thankfully we've only had an uncomfortably warm day sprinkled in our cool ones. I can't sleep when it is hot...so, so sorry for you.

    Good to know about the sprays. :-) Hope you enjoyed your high!!

    (Unrelated, but I think of you every time I go to Target now.)

    ReplyDelete