Monday, January 17, 2011

After Joshua got sick, I decided I needed to do my research. My goal became to have a home where cancer cells won't grow. Odd, I know. However, it has become my quest. I want to do everything I can for my children, to make sure they have every chance of health and happiness.

I started simple - organic produce. It took some getting used to, budgeting, shopping around to figure out how to do it. Then I progressed and began making all of my own bread, with the thought that I needed to eliminate processed foods as much as possible. This is not always easy. I keep trying to eliminate more processed foods, and my family doesn't always appreciate it. Yesterday Jared laughed hysterically when he overheard Joshua on the phone saying "Grammy, macaroni and cheese out of a box is SO MUCH BETTER than homemade!"

I am also doing homemade chicken nuggets, organic meat (not always, but I'm working on it!), natural cleaning supplies (baking soda is wonderful but leaves a residue...) etc. So recently I have attacked our cosmetics. I am looking for all natural, free of parabans and philantates, etc. Basically, I am spending big money where I used to spend little money. However, if I spend enough time shopping around and get lucky on sales, it can be reasonable.

Anyway, I write all of this because of what happened tonight. Just after I had washed Claire's hair in all natural shampoo, Jared used a spray on lacquer IN THE DINING ROOM. Our whole house stinks and I have a nasty headache. I begged him not to do it, but he is obsessed with the pinewood derby and needed to spray a test piece of wood, and couldn't even wait until tomorrow when it wouldn't be snowing.

So now I am going to bed with a headache, the air full of carcinogens, wondering how much of the work I have done is now undone.

No comments:

Post a Comment