Tuesday, January 11, 2011

James gets hurt

I had just settled down at the computer, breathing that huge sigh of relief that at long last, the children are in bed. Just as I started to relax, I heard crying (James) then I heard "It's okay, this is a REAL emergency. Mommy won't be mad" (Joshua).

Joshua then proceeded to say "Mommy, mommy, we have an emergency. James is bleeding!" James came to me for comfort, with one dot of blood on his middle finger. James was sobbing too hard to say anything, so Joshua filled me in on the details - James had been in Joshua's bed, and managed to cut himself on something.

I carried James upstairs to find Joshua standing there with his little green first aid kit and scout book. Joshua said to me "I'm taking care of this, I know just what to do." Then to James "Come with me - a loyal scout can take care of you." I told Joshua to hurry, less for the urgency of the situation and more because I wanted them to go back to bed. Joshua had been thumbing through the scout book for the page on caring for wounds, but he put it down and tended to James. He took James into the bathroom and proceeded to thoughouly wash James's hands with soap and water. Then he said "Mommy told me I had to hurry - you're lucky I memorized the whole scout book!"

I tried to contain my laughter as Joshua pulled a bandaid out of the little first aid kit and bandaged James up, then said "Mommy, this is just the opportunity I've been waiting for. I knew I needed to carry my first aid kit around!"

Jared, who is currently jerry-rigging a pinewood derby car, is bursting with pride. Joshua has already been planning to bring both is scout book and first aid kit with us to Disney World.

Another funny scouting story - every week for Family Home Evening Jared has been picking activities out of the scout book. Last week we did a post-Christmas review instead. As I tucked the kids in at bedtime, Joshua pulled the scout book out from under the covers, and with his little lip out, asked why we didn't do scouting for Family Home Evening. I am just thankful that he loves something other than the dreaded horrible Star Wars.

3 comments:

  1. I love those boys! I'm proud of a loving big brother and proud of a Momma that does FHE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't knock Star Wars. If Josh grows out of it, we still have two more of your boys to convert!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so funny and sweet at the same time! I miss those kids!

    ReplyDelete