I think I might be in Paris. I cannot be completely sure, for any moment I may wake to find myself dreaming in my bed at home. However, I am feeling pretty certain that I am indeed in Paris!
I arrived Wednesday morning after a very pleasant flight. I am here visiting friends, and Doug picked me up at the airport. All the way to their apartment I was in denial - am I really here? Am I really experiencing this?
I felt badly about leaving my children (I will be here for three weeks), but Claire, ever wise, pointed out that "You can't miss my ONCE IN A LIFETIME opportunity." I do miss them, but we have stayed so busy in Paris (and eaten so well) it has helped to ease my pain.
Wednesday was a quiet and restful day. After arriving and greeting everyone, I had to take a nap. When I arose, we walked along the Champs Elyse. Paris is having an unseasonably cold streak, and as we walked the clouds burst and we were showered with a cold rain - we didn't stay out long. I am actually very thankful for the cold streak - home was unbearably hot, and Paris' 70 degree days have been wonderful!
Thursday was my birthday, and it was unbelievable. I mean that literally - I don't know how I would ever beat this birthday. We started off the morning strolling a real Parisian market - I drooled over the cheese selection. Jen bought several cheeses for fondue that night. We then took the boys to a playground at the foot of the Eiffel Tower, where Jen and I bought crepes and baguette sandwiches and picnicked while the boys played. I then walked to the Eiffel tower and gawked at its glorious underbelly. We shopped as we walked home - I wish I spoke French so that I could communicate better; thankfully, Jen is a wonderful translator. I am not sure why the pharmacies fascinate me so much. I think its because I am fascinated by how the French really live, and seeing what they buy is an insight into who they are. I have to stop in every pharmacy I see!
Thursday night Jen made fondue, a tradition we started back in Virginia. We had always discussed how fun it would be to eat fondue in Switzerland, but France is good enough for me. I licked out the pan and fondue pot. I could eat Jen's cooking every day. After dinner, in addition to making me a chocolate mousse cheesecake, Jen took me out to dessert at Laduree, a swanky, historic, chic restaurant on the Champs Elysee. We started our meal upstairs, in a room straight out of a Louis XIV movie, but had to move downstairs when we found out the room was only for meals. It was fine with me, as I was able to see a second part of the awesome restaurant. I ended up getting chocolate mousse topped with a chocolate macaroon (macaroons are the restaurants' specialty!) It was an unreal experience.
After dessert we took a train to the Eiffel Tower to see it light up at 10 pm. Not only did it light up, but for the first five minutes of the hour it sparkled all over! I really, really felt like I might actually be in Paris as I watched the Eiffel Tower come aglow. I went to bed with a HUGE smile on my face!
Friday was Disneyland! After Doug got off work, we drove to Disney. Having just been to Disney World, I was curious as to how this would compare - it passed the test. We had a great time! We saw the Tarzan show, had a good dinner, rode lots of rides and enjoyed our time together. We even had a bit of an adventure when Pirates of the Caribbean broke down mid-ride! After more than a half hour, a worker finally came, then was surprised that no one had come to help us!!!! We were safely evacuated, and had a good laugh at the experience. We stayed at Disney to see the fireworks at the end of the night - it truly is magical. Disney does things with a bang.
Today we explored an old town called Chartres. We went to a 12th century cathedral so massive it was the inspiration for Notre Dame. The village specialized in stained glass, so the stained glass in the cathedral is breathtaking. However, the most inspiring part to me was the restoration taking place within the cathedral. As with all old cathedrals, the inside was black with soot. Some of the wings had completed restoration, and the walls and ceiling were shining white! Being white, the light through the stained glass shown all around and illuminated the building. It was breathtaking. I also felt inspired knowing, as I put my hand on a column, that I was touching something done by an artisan almost 1000 years ago! Their work has survived time, modernization, cultural changes, and is still relevant and beautiful. Not many people achieve that, and it was very inspiring. I feel the need to return to Chartres in 5 years and see the whole cathedral renovated to its original glory.
After the cathedral, we took a trolley-like tour through the old section of town. Knowing that homes have been inhabited for hundreds and hundreds of years is fascinating! I was admiring a Tudor style house before realizing it's not Tudor style, it's actual Tudor! That is very cool. I enjoyed an apple and cheese covered pastry at the town square. I loved it, but it has not replaced my favorite, pan au chocolat! I am loving all this great food and company, and I don't know how I am going to live without it!
Oh I am SO JEALOUS! Paris is my favorite favorite city - I love the architecture, I love the museums and I most especially love the food! Mmmm....
ReplyDeletePlease go eat an ice cream cone for me. On second thought, please go eat several!