Tonight is a tonight that has to be chronicled.... but the story doesn't start until after I went to bed. I was particularly on top of things today, and as a reward for my efforts, I went to bed early. At least, early for me. At 10:59 I laid in my bed, thankful to finally rest. I went to bed an hour earlier than normal, excited to lay peacefully with my book. I opened the book, with the ironic thought that there was nothing left to do, and I could spend some time to myself.
Then I heard the sound. This is a sound I have come to recognize and dread. Actually, there is nothing special about this, because everyone recognizes this sound, and I can't think of a single person who likes it. I heard a gag, followed by a splash. Then, as I laid there in dread, I heard another gag and another splash.
I hesitated just a moment - do I really have to deal with this? I tried passing it off on Jared, but he was either suddenly asleep with his light on and book open, or he was doing a very good job faking it. I got up and trudged to Claire's room, where I found James sitting on the floor in a pile of dark brown vomit, looking very bewildered.
I picked James up and carried him to the bathroom for cleanup, saying "I'm sorry you're not feeling well." His reply was typically Jamesy, and he said " I didn't know I was going to be sick. I'm sorry I made a mess for you to clean up." Of course, this made all of my frustration at the situation evaporate away to shame. I made the boy a bed in the hallway with easy access to the toilet, then went to inspect the damage.
Luckily, the mess was confined to the rug. Unluckily, the mess was dark brown, very widespread, and the rug is an adorable pink flower rug from Pottery Barn. I know the Pottery Barn reference is unnecessary, but I am a little worldly, and I love that rug; being how its from PB, I can't just run out and replace it. However, on a positive note, thanks to a brain tumor, I have a huge amount of experience cleaning vomit out of things.
The smell was strong enough that I immediately carried the rug to the backyard, and started going to town with the water and Oxyclean. Back and forth, back and forth to the kitchen sink. It was by then 11:30, and barefoot and in my pj's, I continued to work..... until suddenly I had to quit. I had stepped on the mat outside the back door, only to feel something squish under my foot. After all the rain today, it could only be one thing. That's right. I completely flattened a slug with my bare foot.
I quickly decided the rug was clean enough. Finished. Done. As good as it gets. Further examination revealed the porch to be full of slugs... no rug is worth that. Pottery Barn or not, if it's not clean enough, too bad!
No comments:
Post a Comment