Claire is a very high maintenance birthday girl. Last week she was worried that Jared hadn't bought her anything. I asked why, and she said she hadn't noticed him sneaking anything around. She would notice too. The girl notices EVERYTHING.
Saturday she reminded me that last year I didn't hang crepe paper. Here's last year's decorations - she had taken matters into her own hands, cutting paper into strips, coloring it then taping the strips together. She then twisted them and taped them on the walls. In order to avoid having to decorate herself again this year, she brought me the crepe paper from the party box in the basement and instructed me that our Saturday project would be to hang her decorations. I told her we would do it Sunday night, and she said that was too much work for the Sabbath, so lets just do it now and make sure it actually gets done.
Today she reminded me that last year on her birthday, she came downstairs to find a plate of lemon poppy seed muffins. On them was a note that read "Happy Birthday. Help yourself." She instructed Jared to make cinnamon rolls (from scratch) and leave them on the table with a similar note.
She asked me today if she would have a new dress to wear to school on her birthday. I told her we could probably work something out. She then asked if she didn't like the dress, could she open a different present in the morning? Maybe a second dress?
I let the children pick their birthday menu. Claire insisted I buy orange soda, even though we happen to have Root Beer. She reminded me the Root Beer was my choice, not hers. I had to buy her corn dogs (she was slightly disappointed that I bought mini ones), cheetos, ice cream bars, and the said Orange Crush.
I am bringing cupcakes to school tomorrow. Claire got very demanding with these. She wanted cupcake size cheesecakes, topped with chocolate ganache, crumbled oreos, and gummy worms. Here's where I had to FINALLY put my foot down. I made regular chocolate cupcakes, regular chocolate frosting, but I did cover them with crushed oreos and gummy worms (worms in the dirt cupcakes!) After I explained how much work the cheesecakes would have been, she conceded.
I would get annoyed, but she is not actually acting greedy with her demands. She is being very sweet, and is just soooo excited it is brimming over. I am trying to contain my laughter as she carries on - tonight she said it was too close to her birthday for her to do any chores.
I love it! She is too cute!!!
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday Claire! Isn't it fun when they can appreciate the big days? Our Christmases are so much more interesting than they were 3 years ago when the kids didn't even know about it and we pretty much skipped the holiday altogether. :-)
ReplyDelete